In 2018, the Good Food Buffalo Coalition was launched to bring the Good Food Purchasing Program to Western New York because children and all people deserve access to healthy food, and food that values workers, animals, and the environment, while lifting local communities out of poverty.
Our member organizations work collaboratively in a grassroots coalition representing the five values of the Good Food Purchasing Program. Together, we educate the community about the food system, increase awareness about impacts and outputs, as well as economic opportunities of the food system, and we advocate that public institutions in Buffalo and Erie County operate in consideration of public values to ensure that those institutions are accountable to the needs of the people and places they work for and around.
We currently have 27 member-organizations (listed below). Organizations can join our coalition by completing this online form.
Racial equity, youth and community engagement, transparent and inclusive governance structures, and research have been primary focuses of founding members of the Good Food Buffalo Coalition.
Some highlights of our work include:
- Engagement of local producers and growers in a Farmers & Legislators Forum and a NYS Black Farmers Listening Session.
- Families, students, and community members engaged through a local harvest festival event in collaboration with Buffalo Public Schools.
- Supply chain research conducted by the Social Justice in the Global Food System graduate capstone course at the Yale School of the Environment.
- Students engaged in the campaign and their perspectives highlighted through a video and podcasts.
- A report on the state of school food in Buffalo and a shorter policy brief published by coalition member Partnership for the Public Good (PPG).
- Mission, vision, and values statements and a governance structure created and agreed up by the coalition membership.
Learn more about our coalition’s work and history at bit.ly/gfbc_history.
LOCAL ORGANIZATIONS INVOLVED
- Good Food Buffalo Coalition
- African Heritage Food Co-op
- Buffalo Parent-Teacher Organization
- Buffalo Teacher Federation
- Crossroads Coalition
- Designing to Live Sustainably
- Food for the Spirit
- Food Policy Council for Buffalo & Erie County
- Fruit Belt Advisory Council
- Global Justice Ecology Project
- Grassroots Gardens WNY
- Grooperative Inc.
- Massachusetts Avenue Project
- NeuWater & Associates, LLC
- Northeast Organic Farming Association of NY
- Open Buffalo
- Partnership for the Public Good
- Pelion Garden at City Honors School
- Providence Farm Collective
- Rust Belt Harvest
- Sierra Club Buffalo-Niagara
- SunniBlu Health and Wellness
- SPCA of Erie County
- UB Food Lab
- UB Health Promotion
- Urban Fruits & Veggies
- WNY Area Labor Federation
- Western New York Environmental Alliance
- WNY Council on Occupational Safety & Health